HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Share | 

Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
the whippet

PostSubject: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:14 pm

This is where we're going on Sunday, it's a 59mile rout which is reasonably tough, but we've tackled worse, we will take it easy and for those who do not want to rode from Bradley Stoke there is an ideal meeting point at Passage road just of the roundabout at the Severn bridge with plenty of parking, this reduces the route to about 40 miles.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/143775657
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Looks Painful   Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:10 pm

Not sure my fitness level is up to tackling this one, I have to add 13 miles on for my trip to Bradley and Back and that Cat 3, I think, will kill me.No t saying I won't do it, but it does look very daunting Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Should be in for this :-)
Back to top Go down
Scaramanga

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:32 pm

I have ridden this route on several occasions and can assure you that whilst the climbs are a challenge, they are definitely not impossible and I am a middle aged man who likes a smoke and a drink a bit too much Wink

There are no crazy gradients, just long and steady which makes it easy to get in a rhythm. But rest assured, the views and the 2 descents that follow are well worth the climbs.

As Stevo said, for those that want to shorten the ride you can drive over to Passage Road in Aust (BS35 4BD). Just let us know that you will be there.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:59 pm

middle aged David ?? You're positively youthful by comparison Smile

I may be up for this if I can "wangle" a day pass .....
Back to top Go down
Scaramanga

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:04 pm

jam wrote:
middle aged David ?? You're positively youthful by comparison Smile

I may be up for this if I can "wangle" a day pass .....

Smoke and mirrors John Wink

Would be good to see you, seems like an age (or middle age) since I last saw you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: No car   Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:12 pm

Unfortunately not being in ownership of any motorised vehical the ability to shorten the ride is not an option; I will just have to see how my legs and my nerve feels on the day lol.
Back to top Go down
Scaramanga

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:26 am

Pendragon wrote:
Unfortunately not being in ownership of any motorised vehical the ability to shorten the ride is not an option; I will just have to see how my legs and my nerve feels on the day lol.

Didn't know that.

Just remember the club moto. "No one gets left behind" Smile Might see you sunday.
Back to top Go down
Nick

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:39 am

Hopefully can make this to, not been on the road bike in ages now.

Btw the club motto is actually "Nobody gets left behind (unless we're approaching a cake stop)"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:06 am

roflmao ... Smile
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:52 pm

+1 Very Happy

PS It's bloody hot here about 30 degrees C
Hope it's a bit cooler along the coast and in the mountains tomorrow!
As the Sun would say "Phew !! Wot a scorcher" Hose pipe ban soon!

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Looks like me & a friend from WSM should be up for this, if he gets too knackered I'll drop back with him & let you guys go on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales    Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:05 pm

As a new member of the club i've not gone over 45 miles. So this ride is looking daunting. I'm going to have a go. But I may struggle on the last 15 to 20 miles. I apologise in advance if I hold all any of ou up.

See you all Sunday Question lol!
Back to top Go down
Scaramanga

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:10 pm

Mark Elvin wrote:
Looks like me & a friend from WSM should be up for this, if he gets too knackered I'll drop back with him & let you guys go on.

Jamesback wrote:
As a new member of the club i've not gone over 45 miles. So this ride is looking daunting. I'm going to have a go. But I may struggle on the last 15 to 20 miles. I apologise in advance if I hold all any of ou up.

See you all Sunday

No one will be left behind. Cool

See you Sunday Smile
Back to top Go down
aerobully

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:10 pm

Jamesback wrote:

See you all Sunday Question lol!

James, I wouldn't worry too much. I only started cycling in April 2011 and the first ride I did with NBCC was 35 miles. A few weeks later I was regularly doing rides of over 50 miles. 4 months later I rode to Llangollen in a day which was 133 miles but I don't like to talk about that!

Keep a steady pace, stay hydrated and eat during the ride. Remember the ride will be at the pace of the slowest rider and as Dave says no one gets left behind.
Back to top Go down
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=5807558&authType=nam

PostSubject: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks Mark & Dave. Looking forward the pain. See you all Sunday
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:31 pm

If you can get your bike in the car try to drive to Passage road by the bridge and join in there it makes it a lot easier.
Just let one of the lads know and then they can arrange to meet you on the roundabout by the services.

Speedplay

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:57 pm

I'm in ...always up for a ride across the river...but remember - on those fast descents, cycle caerphilly!
Back to top Go down
aerobully

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:14 pm

Speedplay wrote:
I'm in ...always up for a ride across the river...but remember - on those fast descents, cycle caerphilly!

You've clearly been working too hard!
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:22 am

I thought I had saved you from replies like that by getting Martin out of the way. lol!

bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:36 pm

Ok heads up you lot.
New potential lad to join in with you on Sunday just got reply from my e mail to him
Name of Josh user name 'unique'.
Mark,Jonh and Steve I have forwarded his /mine e mails to you so be nice to him as I have no doubts you will.He is coming up from Horfield so thats another for the return convoy back to Bristol. he rides a Canyon so eyes peeled to meet and great.
Thanks lads and Lasses.

Scaramanga

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:42 pm

Another Canyon. Nice Smile
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:51 pm

As long as he is not as fast as you! affraid lol. Mind you he is only young... well compared to me as are most people :-( Sad

aerobully

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:00 pm

Scaramanga wrote:

I wonder if he has the longer top tube?
Back to top Go down
Scaramanga

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:07 pm

aerobully wrote:
Scaramanga wrote:

I wonder if he has the longer top tube?

Haha.

*wonders if that is a euphamism
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales   

Back to top Go down

Sunday 14th across the bridge to Wales
View previous topic View next topic Back to top