HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Share | 

Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bigsenior

PostSubject: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:45 pm

Some new  roads next week to a lot of you and I have included Bannerdown for .Lets see how many different routes we can take to Marshfield next week lol! 
Stop is Marshfield.
As it will be the Pavlova the week after I thought it was time for us all to stretch our legs a bit.
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2903738

Last edited by bigsenior on Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://bigsnr@yahoo.co.uk
Jimmyb88

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:13 pm

If you want to stretch the legs Scott, lansdown lane would be a good detour. Only a "slight" hill.
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:39 pm

I thought  about it Jim:evil: but bit awkward to get to and can be busy on a Sunday morning.

Jimmyb88

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:22 pm

bigsenior wrote:
I thought  about it Jim

What's that, the chris froome in you?
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:30 pm

Who's he?
I'm team Argos.

Jimmyb88

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:36 pm

Oh yea forgot, kittel?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:48 am

bigsenior wrote:
I thought  about it Jim:evil: but bit awkward to get to and can be busy on a Sunday morning.
"evil" haha, yes. I rode Lansdown Lane on Wednesday so the memory is still fresh in my mind Mad It must be the most severe climbing challenge we have in the Bristol/Bath area! For those yet to sample its delights: The first 600m is a comfortable 5% bimble, but if you want to get to the top quickly, this is really where you should be sprinting hard. The middle 600m is a manageable 10-12%, but begins to feel taxing. The final third is truly diabolical! Do not look up at the 18-20% surface stretching into the beyond! Out of the saddle is the only option, gripping the hoods for grim death, your heart threatening to burst out your chest, eyes bulging from their sockets, your thoughts are preoccupied with "WHY AM I DOING THIS??" and suppressing an almost overwhelming desire to dismount, you stop caring about the motor traffic grinding up behind you as you zigzag crazily at about 4mph. Then, the final 100m is like entering paradise as the gradient reduces to a blissful 5% and you realise your ordeal is ending...

So quite a pleasant little ride really Evil or Very Mad If anyone knows a tastier local one, please let me know!!

Scott - due to family committments, I can't make the ride this weekend. Hopefully back in circulation next week.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:50 am

"Do not look up at the 18-20% surface stretching into the beyond! Out of the saddle is the only option, gripping the hoods for grim death, your heart threatening to burst out your chest, eyes bulging from their sockets, your thoughts are preoccupied with "WHY AM I DOING THIS??" and suppressing an almost overwhelming desire to dismount, you stop caring about the motor traffic grinding up behind you as you zigzag crazily at about 4mph."

Sounds like the slightest hint of wind @ that point could be catastrophic , definately a ride to avoid post curry night!

Mind you last time I rode this hill i couldn't see what all the fuss was about : seated spinning away with 3 gears left @ 10mph . I reached the summit, yawned went for a flying dismount and kicked the cat off the bed..........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:27 pm

martin wrote:

Sounds like the slightest hint of wind @ that point could be catastrophic , definately a ride to avoid post curry night!

Mind you last time I rode this hill i couldn't see what all the fuss was about : seated spinning away with 3 gears left @ 10mph . I reached the summit, yawned went for a flying dismount and kicked the cat off the bed..........

Seriously, any amount of jet propulsion at that point could be beneficial! But best to avoid curry because of the nightmares...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:42 pm

Anyone has a link to a strava segment for that hill?
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:15 pm

Sorry Strava is banned as from NOW!
Is that what it is all about going and trying to beat someone elses time by a second just so you can say I am King of the Mountain.
Sorry i would rather enjoy my riding.

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:19 pm

Lansdown Lane sounds like a dream!!! Shocked ... a similar hill but possibly easier (?) is up through North End to Ashwick Lane - that'll sort your lungs out!  bounce

Sadly I cant ride this weekend - family events...

Enjoy everyone, cant wait to read all about it Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:23 pm

gakko wrote:
Anyone has a link to a strava segment for that hill?

I love Strava. It makes you want to ride slowly between segments with lots of stops, Have a break (and possible even a kit kat or a quick crap) @ the bottom,before rushing up the hill and having a ten minute rest(or even a lie down) @ the top.... it really is what cycling is all about....I reckon they'll run the tour like it next year it's that popular..... It's brilliant!

Last edited by martin on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:31 pm

"So quite a pleasant little ride really Evil or Very Mad If anyone knows a tastier local one, please let me know!!"
Not to local to you but the hill is a bar steward.from about 4 miles in.
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/233623073

In fact there a number around this way similar.There is the on up to Stinchcome golf club out of Dursley.or there is a nice little one that goes from Coaley aera up to the top end of Frocester.
I will go out and set a Strava time for you so you can go out and smash my time!:-)

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:38 pm

I definetly won't be trying to beat someone's time by a second. Anyway I know you have all the KOM's Scott so don't want to challenge.
Sorry If I upset anyone!
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:53 pm

For a none racing social riding club there seems to be a VAST number of members infatuated with Strava.I noticed the other day a section 0.10 of a mile WTF is that all about! even I could sprint for that then stop and get my KOM.It's all a bloody farce.

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:08 pm

I was almost tempted there .... but not for me ... yet .... a touch too long and too high
for my capabilities !!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:16 pm

I completely understand your point Scott and I also see that there are many downfalls as to how strava functions and how it is used by a some people.
On the other hand it is a useful tool. I definetly don't want to open another bag I snakes here and would like this subject to be closed now, as it seems to be hijacking the main thread of discussion.
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:30 pm

It dosnt help when you come on a ride and suddenly shoot of up a hill as its a "strava section"

Scott.A

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:00 pm

I saw this and thought of you Scott Razz 
Imagine clicky
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:10 pm

I must get one it means like martin said that I can ride slowly for a while have a rest then ride like hell and then have another rest.

Scott.A

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:15 pm

Kudos Razz 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:55 pm

bigsenior wrote:
I must get one it means like martin said that  I can ride slowly for a while have a rest then ride like hell and then have another rest.
 Here's recent example of a Stravatist-in extremis (or non-female chicken : no names no packdrill)

First 20 miles 44:57 resting time /9.5 mph ave speed

Second 20 miles 01:01:00 resting time /8.8mph ave speed

Third 20 miles 30:02 resting time / 11.1mph ave speed

Fourth 20 miles 39:08 resting / 10.4mph ave speed

But lots of PR's on smegments !  Kudos!!! (or bag of Toss?)
Back to top Go down
andy williams

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:02 pm

"I'll meet you lovely lot",at the Bus stop Badminton/ruffet rd junction.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:50 pm

andy williams wrote:
"I'll meet you lovely lot",at the Bus stop Badminton/ruffet rd junction.    

Ditto...I'm also gonna miss the cafe stop completely and hang a right @ mile 27 back thro Tormarton  and straight home hopefully for 12...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.   

Back to top Go down

Sunday 28th Marshfield to see Milly the hen.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1