HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Share | 

Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Thu May 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Does anyone fancy a Mendips ride? We could start at Ashton Court and head out towards Burrington via the lanes. Then over to Yatton for some Cake? There are a few small hills on the way to Yatton but its flat all the way back to Bristol along quiet lanes and a cycle track. If you want to make it longer we could drop into Cheddar and ride the strawberry line all the way to the cafe stop.

Early or late start is fine. Route is around 35 miles I think. I plot it on Bikely and pop it up if anyone fancies it.

Cafe

I'm heading to Scotland on the 26th May for 5 days so I could arrange a date before or after.

Last edited by merlin on Sat May 07, 2011 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Calender)
Back to top Go down
the whippet

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Thu May 05, 2011 10:08 pm

Sounds great, I'll come along,don't mind when, but before the 26th would be nice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Thu May 05, 2011 11:04 pm

i know some of that route ... i could be "persuaded" :-)
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Fri May 06, 2011 8:12 am

@Hwe,
Shall we pencil it in for the 22nd?

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Fri May 06, 2011 8:49 am

Any chance we could make it the 15th as I am in Spain from 21st. Be good if we could but if not then I'll have to miss it 80(
Back to top Go down
merlin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Fri May 06, 2011 9:42 am

I am up for this. I'm quite flexible for a Sat or Sun early or later start.

Most likely will be cycling in from Bradley Stoke depending on start time.
Back to top Go down
http://nbcc.forumsmotion.com
bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Fri May 06, 2011 11:52 am

@Hwe
Can we put this in for 15th as John M has a little one booked on Cheesy for the Sat 14th.?

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Fri May 06, 2011 3:03 pm

bigsenior wrote:
@Hwe
Can we put this in for 15th as John M has a little one booked on Cheesy for the Sat 14th.?

15th is good for me. Do we want to ride up Burrington then down to Cheddar and follow the Strawberry Line to Yatton?

10am start so people can get don from North Bristol?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Fri May 06, 2011 5:02 pm

Burrington sounds good.

Can we start at 9am from Central Bristol if possible ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Fri May 06, 2011 7:28 pm

Sounds great for the 15th,heading down that way this weekend as well to follow some of the BLACK RAT route & tackle the climbs ready for the event on the 22nd,see you all next week.
Back to top Go down
aerobully

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Fri May 06, 2011 10:46 pm

Count me in
Back to top Go down
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=5807558&authType=nam

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Sat May 07, 2011 10:52 am

NBH wrote:
Burrington sounds good.

Can we start at 9am from Central Bristol if possible ?

I can't really get over to Ashton Court till around 10.

I'll post up the route and meeting point late today if I have time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Sat May 07, 2011 9:35 pm

I've roughly plotted the route.

Map

There is plenty of parking in the car parks at Ashton Cort or on Long Ashton Road. The climb up Burrington is the only significant climb and most of the route is on minor roads and cycle track.

10am is the earliest I can get over to Ashton Court. We can meet just at the entrance gate.
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Sat May 07, 2011 10:23 pm

If Mr M doesn't tier me out to much on the Saturday I will be there Hwe.
Not sure yet if I drive to start or ride but either way I should be there ok for 10.
There are a few members over kingswood/hanham area might be worth you meeting up somewhere and riding to start? Just a thought.

bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Sun May 08, 2011 11:11 am

@Hwe
Can you plot route so I can download the GPX file for the Garmin.
If not, not to worry I have an os map and i shall be drafting you the whole way anyway (Yea in my dreams)

bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Sun May 08, 2011 11:13 am

Just realised you are using the Strawberry line so v. difficult to plot.Ok I will go with what you have.
Sorry about last post.
Scott

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Sun May 08, 2011 4:22 pm

If anyone is coming from the east side of town i could meet them at the Air Balloon pub about 9.15.Then down to Lawrence Hill to meet up with Steve & Brett.Did some of the route today Cheddar Gorge now thats a long hill.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Sun May 08, 2011 6:36 pm

bigsenior wrote:
Just realised you are using the Strawberry line so v. difficult to plot.Ok I will go with what you have.
Sorry about last post.
Scott

Yes sorry I couldn't plot the strawberry line on the map. Its very approximate.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Mon May 09, 2011 6:42 pm

I need to get out and back a bit earlier so am going to have to miss this one. I will head out that way so may bump in to you.

As you may or may not know, depending on whether you are a Pro Cycling Fan, Wouter Weylandts was killed today in an accident on a descent in the Giro D'Italia. Very very sad as he was a talented young rider and his wife was pregnant.

After the accident with the lady on the Audax as well I just wanted to mention it. Whilst we aren't professionals we still hit some very high speeds and these types of things serve as a reminder not just how fragile life is but how dangerous our hobby can be.

Ride saferly everyone and I hope you enjoy the ride the hopster has put on. I'm away for a couple of weeks so will see you on Sunday 28th (with a tan hopefully).

RIP Wouter Weylandt 1984 -2011

Last edited by NBH on Wed May 11, 2011 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Mon May 09, 2011 9:14 pm

Well said Neil. RIP WW
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Wed May 11, 2011 10:40 pm

Brandy and I attacked Burrington Coombe to day and to be quite honest it's not bad at all I even managed to keep a gear in reserve !Mind you the pot of tea and hot bacon baguette at the cafe at the bottom might of helped.
All being well ,if I can get a weekend pass I will see you on Sunday.That's if JAM doesn't wear me out on Saturday.

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Thu May 12, 2011 11:56 am

Post if you are coming so we don't leave anyone behind.

1.Hopster
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Thu May 12, 2011 12:42 pm

1.Hopster
2.John M

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Thu May 12, 2011 3:40 pm

1.Hopster
2.John M
3.Bobbydazzler
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm

1.Hopster
2.John M
3.Bobbydazzler
4.Scott

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May   

Back to top Go down

Mendips ride and lovely cafe stop. - Sunday 15th May
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next